Nothing lasts forever. It’s unfortunate but true. And it applies to your AC system. After years of doing its best to keep you cool during our summer season, your air conditioner may finally be ready to call it quits.
Here’s the thing: an air conditioning replacement isn’t a cheap service. You want to make sure that you do need a replacement rather than just an AC repair in Wake Forest, NC. It may be helpful to know what the warning signs are for both of these issues so you know when to reach out to a professional technician for help.
3 Signs Your AC Needs Repairs
Sometimes your air conditioner will start having issues that seem like they spell the end of the system, but which are still fixable. Here is how to tell might be able to get by with repairs:
- The AC is under 10 years old. Air conditioners are meant to last for at least a minimum of 10 years before needing to be replaced. If yours is still under that “age,” then it’s likely that it needs repairs rather than a replacement.
- The system has been regularly maintained: If your system has gotten tune-ups each year from a professional, it should be okay for a good long while. Regular maintenance can increase the lifespan of the system because it reduces the wear and tear it usually sustains from regular use.
- It uses R410-A refrigerant: Do you have a system that uses a newer refrigerant known as R410-A? If so you should be okay to get a refrigerant leak repaired if that’s the issue.
3 Signs You Need a New Air Conditioner
- Your system is edging towards 15 years of use: With regular maintenance and best practices for use, your air conditioner can last up to 15 years before it needs to be replaced. With that said, if your system is getting closer to that 15-year mark, it is time to at least start planning for a replacement.
- Repairs are becoming an annual thing: Your air conditioner will needs repairs throughout its lifespan. With that said, they shouldn’t be frequent. If you are starting to need AC repairs on a yearly basis, it means your air conditioner isn’t likely to last much longer. Replace your system before it fully breaks down.
- It still uses R-22 refrigerant: It might be hard to believe, but there are still AC systems that use R-22 refrigerant. The issue here is that, if your system uses this refrigerant and springs a leak, it is extremely expensive and hard to get a recharge. In this case, it is better to simply get the system replaced.
These are some of the easiest signs to look for that will help you differentiate between a repair need or a need to replace your system. Of course, a professional technician can tell you for certain what service is the best option.
If your AC isn’t working the way it should, reach out to our team for help.
Come to the Heating, Cooling, & Electrical Experts of the Raleigh Triangle to get your HVAC services taken care of. Sloan Service Company, Inc. works hard to keep homeowners like you comfortable 365 days a year.